Autumn is in full swing in Baltimore, and now is the time to schedule your fall furnace tune-up. Annual preventive maintenance on your furnace will benefit you in several key ways:
- Increase system efficiency
- Lower your heating costs
- Extend the life of your furnace
- Help prevent mid-winter breakdowns
- Ensure safe operation of your equipment
While key tune-up tasks vary among different contractors, a reputable HVAC company will perform a comprehensive inspection of your system, including these essential points:
- Lubricate the moving parts of your system to prevent friction.
- Tighten electrical and gas connections.
- Inspect wires and terminals for corrosion, and apply nonconductive coating where needed.
- Test the gas pressure and burner combustion.
- Check for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- Inspect the blower assembly for optimum airflow.
- Measure the voltage and current on the motor.
- Test the controls of the system to ensure proper cycling.
- Inspect your ductwork for loose joints that result in air loss.
- Check your thermostat for accuracy.
Once your tune-up is complete, there are several things you should do before turning on your system this fall:
- Stock up on air filters. Inspect your filter every month, and replace it when you can no longer see through it. A clean filter ensures proper airflow, reduces indoor air pollutants and prevents dust from building up inside your system and damaging essential components.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and push the test button to ensure they’re working properly. You should have one of each type of detector on every floor in your home, located as close to the ceiling as possible, with one of each near your main sleeping area.
- Post the emergency contact number for your gas company near your furnace and call it immediately if you smell gas around your unit.
- Know the location of your gas shutoff valve and make sure it’s easily accessible in case of an emergency.
To schedule your fall furnace tune-up with one of our qualified professionals, please feel free to contact us at Griffith Energy Services, Inc., proudly serving the Baltimore area with a high level of customer satisfaction.
Written by Kevin Spain