Residents living in the Mid-Atlantic region are treated to everything the four seasons have to offer, with wild extremes sometimes happening from week to week. Variations in these seasons can make it difficult to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home, but a programmable thermostat allows you to program temperature adjustments for several times each day. By using programmable thermostat settings, you home is most comfortable when people are home, and maintained at more energy-efficient temperatures when the house is unoccupied, regardless of the season.
How to Use Programmable Thermostat Settings:
- Most programmable thermostats offer four pre-programmed settings. By using these settings to reflect your specific daily and weekly schedules, you can automatically maintain comfortable temperatures when people are at home, and save energy when they’re not.
- Program your settings and then leave them be, as much as possible. Constantly overriding your programs will defeat the programmable thermostat’s energy-saving purpose.
- For the most energy savings, program energy-saving setback periods for at least eight hours, usually when you’re sleeping or away at work.
Selecting the Best Programmable Thermostat for Your Needs:
Evaluate your family’s schedule, such as when people get up in the morning, bedtimes, time spent away from the home for school or work, etc. Three main models are available, and one will best fit your schedule.
- 5-1-1 models work best for families that have one schedule Monday through Friday, another schedule on Saturday and another on Sunday.
- 5+2 day models work best for families with one schedule Monday through Friday, and another for both Saturday and Sunday.
- 7-day models work best for families with changing schedules, such as days with different school or work hours. This model provides the most flexibility in programmable thermostat settings.
To ensure you choose the programmable thermostat that’s best for your family’s needs, and for the best quality in installation, please contact our experts at Griffith Energy Services, Inc. We have been keeping families in the Mid-Atlantic region comfortable for more than 100 years.
Written by Kevin Spain